Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Tora's Inner Fears

Alone in a room, by a fire, long since darkened, Tora cries to his gods “Oh why is the round eye so much more powerful than I”.

Only silence answers the sword-master. Boroto enters the room, seeing the distressed hero, she removes her robes hoping to comfort his aching heart, but Tora will have none of her love-pity. He must find a way to master the mostly nekked little man, Drako. Spurning her advances he spins about: “He doesn’t even wear armor! How is it that he is so nearly invulnerable to attack?”

Boroto quickly regains her robes and turns away from Tora. “He is a monk, highly disciplined, focused beyond standard human measure. His path is not one that all may walk and so the gods reward him for that.”

Quietly she thinks: “this is my third attempt to seduce this bastard. What is his problem? I’m so totally hot. I wonder if he has the hots for Drako?

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I mean really, Drako is so hot! Maybe I should go after Drako? No, skinny round eye is too, I don’t know, hmm....

Tora turns about, drawing his sword (and in the same stroke), slices through a pineapple that happens to be lying about, despite the fact that he has never seen a pineapple and they are not even indigenous to this clime.

He wonders about the odd fruit as he slices through it, reveling in the fact that he has hit something, at least. Quietly to himself, he imagines Drako’s ugly head detached from his body, rolling about on the floor. Tora laughs then kicks the fruit. It hits Boroto, who seems rather annoyed. “Look, Romeo, unlike normal people, Drako adds his wisdom to his ability to avoid blows.” If you haven’t noticed, he has godlike wisdom.”

Tora snorts at this and states: “I’ve never seen his wisdom, just those stupid acrobatic show-off stunts that he pulls. What a dick! Stupid round eye!” Oh, sure, he gave me this dragon armor, fan-frickin-tastic! Ooh! What a nice guy?!

“I didn’t say he was a nice guy, in fact I’m a little worried about his motives of late considering the several times that he has bathed in dragons’ blood. He also seems to really enjoy smacking around Illya. I mean, who doesn’t really? But he seems to take an almost unnatural joy from the experience. Is it the dragon blood? Yes, probably. Also, he seems a bit more frightening to me these days and I can’t explain why. However, he has been very focused on making himself as invulnerable as possible. He must have gotten something for being in the heart of a living dragon. I mean that’s got to count for something. Plus, he bathed in the blood of a black dragon once I believe.”

“Freak!” Tora yells and slices through another strange fruit entirely non-indigenous to this clime. “Why does he do that? It weirds me out?” “It grants him power, Tora. It imbues him with the power of creatures that are near godlike. He himself worships F'thrun, as do I. We are such a perfect match, that hot little man and I?”

“Screw that freak!” Tora yells as he once again spins his sword about cutting a swallow in two – leaving two smaller, but equal swallows in its place to fly off.

Tora is impressed at his ability for a moment and doesn’t continue the conversation with Boroto.

Time passes. ...

“And as I was saying, that is why the mighty Drako is so powerful! Being a monk does most of it, but really, he has focused all of his efforts to be as invulnerable as possible. I mean, look at his spell resistance. The spell resistance itself comes from being a high level monk, but part of it comes from the fact that he’s a damn fine human specimen. But still, it seems like he has preternaturally high abilities to resist magic, most probably from his focus and discipline and all of those damned magic items that he’s been hoarding for so long.

Come to think of it, he’s probably gay. I mean really, all the good ones are right? Seriously, he’s never had a date. In all these months of adventuring, not one date? I mean, look at Artemis, if I weren’t so straight, I would go after her. Meow! Bad kitty! Down kttty, down, lower, lower, ooh, good kitty!

“Boroto! You are not making me feel better.”“Oh, sorry, as I was saying, it makes perfect sense when you think about it. Monks are very limited, but very focused. Almost all of the abilities that he has can be attributed to his monk status and the fact that he has worked hard to be as invulnerable as possible.”

“Fine!” I don’t care. It doesn’t bother me at all. I’ll just laugh twice as hard when he gets his tail kicked by one of the undead creatures wandering about. Let’s see him teleport inside a vampire. Now that will be funny!”

Boroto shakes her head. “Poor Tora, you don’t realize that Drako has moved beyond all that. He is a magical creature now, an outsider. Perhaps we have can learn from him. He will be a good and kind master when he rules these lands. Perhaps it is best if we start praising him now. I think I’ll just go and offer myself to him. Perhaps that will buy me some favor.”

“Aaaah!”Tora snaps his head up. He had drifted off on watch, but it had only been a few seconds. The sleeping forms Drako, Boroto, and the others of the League of Law were nearby. “Yosh!” Tora mumbled under his breath. Drako’s sleeping form smiles.

No comments: